[Nut-upsdev] Dynamic link library

Frédéric Bohé fredericbohe at eaton.com
Mon Dec 5 10:51:53 UTC 2011

Hello,

I am currently working on getting rid of libraries dependencies from
nut-scanner. Currently nut-scanner depends on several external libs
(avahi, snmp, neon, usb). This becomes a nightmare in terms of
distribution.
So Arnaud asked me to dynamically link those libraries so we come back
to a viable package.

To do this, I ended up choosing libltdl for a portable implementation
but I have never used it before. So if any reader has feed back on this
lib, he is welcome to share it with us.

Using this external library raise another issue : it's another
dependency ! To solve this, the libltdl project suggest to incorporate
the libltdl sources to the project and compile it with the rest of the
sources. At first glance it should be a 100ko~150ko addition of code,
which is rather big, but it is for the sake of portability.

Moreover Arnaud seems to have plans for some sort of plug-ins for upsd
(I will let him elaborate if needed). The chosen dynamic link solution
we will choose could be used for these plug-ins too.

Please send your comments and suggestions about libltdl and more
generally on this dynamic link issue.

Regards,
Fred

--