[Nut-upsdev] Repo conversion progress report

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Thu Dec 29 05:21:01 UTC 2011

Charles Lepple <clepple at gmail.com>:
> The ideal name for the latest branch would be the one without a
> suffix, but the conversion code doesn't know that a priori. Maybe
> the simplest thing is to fix that up in the *.lift script? (I'm
> still finding my way around.)

Maybe.  All that would need is a branch rename command - easy enough to
implement.

> Similarly, [merge detection] is something that might be best handled
> with a fixup command - especially since the merge metadata usually
> isn't stored in the Subversion repository. (Merge support came too
> late to be widely used, IMHO.) I think the results of editing out
> conflicts in a merge would make it very hard to detect anything
> other than the cleanest merges.

You are right about all of that.  I spent today writing the fixup command,
which can look for clean merge points and optionally patch commit parent
fields to perform them.  I have yet to find a clean merge in the NUT tree.