[Nut-upsdev] Client certificates

EmilienKia at Eaton.com EmilienKia at Eaton.com
Wed Jan 12 07:56:14 UTC 2011

I have added client certificate checking mainly to avoid man-in-the-middle attacks or identity usurpation.
Indeed If you just have server authentication (like 99% the web where just the sertver auth is required), you are just sure of the server's identity, but not the client's one. If you do not want that a vilain execute vicious commands (if it has the login/password), the server must be sure of the client's identity.

Moreover, note that the password is exchenaged uncrypted or unhashed (do not take in account the SSL tunnel) so nothing can prevent a manè-in-the-middle attack because the server can not detect it speaks to a vilain (or a client via a vilain) and not directly to the real client.

BR,
Emilien