[Nut-upsdev] Client certificates

Arjen de Korte nut+devel at de-korte.org
Fri Jan 14 18:40:08 UTC 2011

Citeren "Stuart D. Gathman" <stuart op bmsi.com>:

> One advantage to client certs is that it avoids weak passwords - but
> the client could protect their private key with a weak password.

In case of upsmon, this is a huge waste of effort. The upsmon client
has very little (master) or none at all (slave) influence on the
operation of the server. The worst that can happen, is that a upsmon
master sets the FSD on the uspd server, triggering a power cycle of
all connected devices. All a upsmon slave can do, is delay shutting
down for a handful of seconds. You should not grant any other
privileges to these users.

> You could also assign random strong passwords to clients to avoid
> weak passwords.

What you need to protect, is the username/password combination for
users that need more privileges on the upsd server (the ones that need
to run upscmd and/or upsrw). You should *never* grant those privileges
to users that run upsmon. Since we don't offer SSL in either upscmd or
upsrw, these commands should only be run locally (through a secure
shell for instace), where snooping passwords is not an issue. Only the
administration user needs a strong password and probably be restricted
to connect only through the localhost address.

Please keep list traffic on the list (off-list replies will be rejected)