[Nut-upsdev] SNMP And SuSE

Arjen de Korte nut+devel at de-korte.org
Sun Jan 30 10:33:07 UTC 2011

Citeren Eric Wilde <ewilde op gntrains.com>:

> Fair enough.  The germane portion of the config.log file is:
>
>   configure:7703: checking for init_snmp
>   configure:7703: gcc -o conftest -DINET6 -O2 -fmessage-length=0
> -Wall -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -g -fno-strict-aliasing
> -fstack-protector-all -Dlinux -I/usr/include/rpm -I/usr/include
> conftest.c -L/usr/lib64 -lnetsnmp -lcrypto -lm -L/usr/lib -lwrap >&5
>
> /usr/lib64/gcc/x86_64-suse-linux/4.1.2/../../../../x86_64-suse-linux/bin/ld:
> cannot find -lwrap
>   collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>
> As you know, configure can be asked to test for the presence of a library
> by building a small program that references a well-known entry point in
> that library and then running it through the compiler/linker. This not
> only tests that the library is there but that the options given to
> configure actually work when compiling and/or linking.

I wrote many of these test (this one too actually), so yes, I'm fully
aware of that.

> In this case, it is the bogus "-lwrap" returned by net-snmp-config that
> is the problem, not the net-snmp library or where it is installed, etc.

This problem needs to be fixed upstream and as far as I know, it has
been fixed in later versions (my openSUSE 11.3 buildbot doesn't seem
to include this library anymore in the net-snmp libraries).

In the general case, we have no possibility to test whether or not all
libraries listed by pkg-config, net-snmp-config or similar tools are
really required. We allow overriding most of the auto detected values
by providing them on the configure command line if you find an error
in them and don't want to wait for the problem to be fixed upstream
(if it ever will). This is as far as we will go in fixing this.

Please keep list traffic on the list (off-list replies will be rejected)