[Nut-upsdev] NUT PSU/IPMI driver using FreeIPMI (was: [Freeipmi-devel] in need of guidance...)

Arnaud Quette aquette.dev at gmail.com
Fri Jul 1 08:56:01 UTC 2011

Hi Al,

(FYI, I cc'ed the NUT developers list for info)

2011/6/30 Albert Chu <chu11 at llnl.gov>

> Hi Arnaud,
>
> On Tue, 2011-06-28 at 12:19 -0700, Arnaud Quette wrote:
> > Hi Al,
> >
> > 2011/6/28 Albert Chu <chu11 at llnl.gov>
> >         On Tue, 2011-06-28 at 02:28 -0700, Arnaud Quette wrote:
> >         (...)
> >         > I'm *very* interested in!
> >         > this could even serve as a simple example, shipped in the
> >         examples/
> >         > directory.
> >

> >         Unfortunately, it will require knowledge of the IPMI
> >         protocol/specification, which makes it difficult (and why I
> >         probably
> >         never bothered with an example).
> >
> >         Everything is in the ipmi-fru and ipmi-sensors tools, however
> >         I imagine
> >         a lot of the options, permutations of things, IPMI spec
> >         details, etc. is
> >         what's making it confusing.
> >
> >         Give me some time, and I'll try to "whittle" the ipmi-fru and
> >         ipmi-sensors tools into a far simpler example that can give
> >         you a basis
> >         for what you're trying to accomplish.
> >
> > sure, thanks a lot for your much appreciated proposition.
> > since I have some hard deadlines, do you have any approximate idea on
> > when you'd be able to release this?
>
> Attached is a simplified ipmi-fru that you can hopefully use to extract
> the FRU information you seek.  "gcc ipmi-fru-example.c -lfreeipmi" is
> all you need to do.  I took out a lot of stuff, and there a number of
> special cases not handled.  It may not work for all motherboards, but is
> a good place to start.

awesome, thanks a lot Al!
I'm starting to see the light, though I've not yet read the code
thoroughly...

I just have to check (maybe with libdetect) how to identify PSU, but I
already got the following data by modifying ipmi_fru_parse_open_device_id()
to specify a known PSU ID:

  FRU Board Language: English
  FRU Board Manufacturing Date/Time: 01/05/11 - 08:51:00
  FRU Board Manufacturer: DELL
  FRU Board Product Name: PWR SPLY,717W,RDNT
  FRU Board Serial Number: CN179721130031
  FRU Board Part Number: 0RN442A01

  FRU Power Supply Overall Capacity: 717 Watts
  FRU Power Supply Peak VA: 0 VA
  FRU Power Supply Max Inrush Current: 0 Amps
  FRU Power Supply Inrush Interval: 0 ms
  FRU Power Supply Low End Input Voltage 1: 90000 mV
  FRU Power Supply High End Input Voltage 1: 264000 mV
  FRU Power Supply Low End Input Voltage 2: 0 mV
  FRU Power Supply High End Input Voltage 2: 0 mV
  FRU Power Supply Low End Acceptable Frequencey: 47 Hz
  FRU Power Supply High End Acceptable Frequencey: 63 Hz
  FRU Power Supply A/C Dropout Tolerance: 0 ms
  FRU Power Supply Predictive Fail Support: No
  FRU Power Supply Power Factor Correction Supported: No
  FRU Power Supply AutoSwitch Supprt: Yes
  FRU Power Supply Hot Swap Support: Yes
  FRU Power Supply Peak Capacity: 0 Watts
  FRU Power Supply Hold Up Time: 0 s
  FRU Power Supply Voltage 1: 12V
  FRU Power Supply Voltage 2: 12V
  FRU Power Supply Total Combined Wattage: 0 Watts

> As for sensors, I figured you would probably want to use
> libipmimonitoring, since it's at a much higher level.  I would suggest
> looking at the ipmimonitoring-sensors.c file.

indeed, that's what I understood.
as told above, I just got to check libdetect for PSU identification, then
everything should be alright.

Hopefully that's enough to get you going.  LMK if you need some help
> deciphering the code more.

this should not be needed, but thanks for your kind proposition.

but you should probably publish this code in examples/, with a name like
"simple-ipmi-fru.c" or alike, and highlight this code sample a bit.

thanks again,
Linux / Unix Expert R&D - Eaton - http://powerquality.eaton.com