[Nut-upsdev] NUT development infrastructure and SCM

Arnaud Quette aquette.dev at gmail.com
Thu Jul 7 21:52:33 UTC 2011

Dear NUT developers and contributors,

Back in January 2005 (the 19th to be precise), we started to create an
infrastructure to support the NUT development and its newly formed (or
formalized) team.

Alioth, which is basically a GForge for Debian related efforts, allowed us
to move on, and concentrate more on development.
First, using CVS, we then quickly moved to Subversion due to the former
limitations and lack of flexibility.

A few years later, GForge has not much evolved, compared to competitors such
as Trac, Github, Launchpad, (...)
It's still hard (or impossible) to link trackers to roadmaps, specification
or even SCM, along with sharing information and visibility.
Distributed SCM, such as Git, have also made it easier and lighter to work
collaboratively and contribute patches.
Finally, we've found, over the past year, that this was not optimal for
supporting contributions, like the (fast) growing involvement of our main
corporate supporter (Eaton).

Charles and I have been talking a bit about this off-list, and we thought it
was time to bring it to the public...

We are first considering a move to Git as our new SCM.
Git has proven to be very efficient, and we are even advocating it in our
developer guide.
Alioth is proposing Git, but this leaves out the tracking issues. At least,
it could be considered as a transition step.

Here is an overall comparison of hosting systems:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_open_source_software_hosting_facilities

Charles mentioned Github, which proposes:
  * a wiki supporting git + Asciidoc
  * the ability to close bug through commits (a standard feature for Debian
developers ;-)
  * but tracker seem limited to "Issues" (not sure if there is a problem for
features and patches)

Emilien also told me about Sourceforge, which has evolved, and now proposes
Git, Trac, Mantis, (...) as plugins.

We are still investigating, and would welcome your ideas and comments.

cheers,
Linux / Unix Expert R&D - Eaton - http://powerquality.eaton.com