[Nut-upsdev] on Ubuntu Developer Summit (Oneiric), NUT and 2.8.0

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Wed Jun 8 12:52:46 UTC 2011

On Sat, Jun 4, 2011 at 6:08 AM, Arnaud Quette <aquette.dev at gmail.com> wrote:

> All these are scheduled for 2.8.0, around September. There will also be:
> - the work already done, like NSS support (as an alternative to OpenSSL) and
> the maturing Windows port.
> - a Java binding (jNUT), needed for Eucalyptus integration,
> - some work around Avahi and mDNS / DNS-SD.

This seems ambitious for a few months. Then again, there's the old
quote about the person saying it can't be done shouldn't get in the
way of the person who is making it happen :-)

A couple of vaguely related things:

 * For years we've said that the NUT project only publishes source
code, not binaries (leaving the binaries up to packaged
distributions). I realize that Windows is a special case (since so few
Windows users have a working software build infrastructure), but we
really should have a little more separation between the source code
and the Windows installer (such as giving it another download
directory outside of source/).

 * If meeting the release date is the top priority, what are the
priorities? Alternatively, if we are trying to release with a given
set of broader power management features, what is the minimum set
necessary to be useful? Is there a freeze date for Oneric that you are
trying to meet?

 * The Alioth outage is another reminder that we have a single point
of failure in the repository. Combining that with the wide array of
feature branches we will need to cover the goals mentioned above, it
might be a good idea to move to a DSCM like Git so that we don't have
complicated merge scenarios like the Windows branch. If a feature
isn't ready for 2.8.0 (I don't like assigning version numbers to
features, but I guess it's easier than picking a decent code name)
then we need a way to keep that branch up-to-date with respect to the
"trunk".

 * I would also propose that one of the first commits on a feature
branch should be a little more description of the requirements, or
design ideas.

--
- Charles Lepple