[Nut-upsdev] [RFC apcsmart V3 09/18] drivers/apcsmart: add APC_USERCTRL and APC_CRUCIAL

Arjen de Korte nut+devel at de-korte.org
Sun Mar 6 17:15:31 UTC 2011

Citeren Michal Soltys <soltys op ziu.info>:

> APC_USERCTRL - allows permanent overriding of the variable. Meaning
> even if the ups supports reading and/or writing it, the driver will not
> allow it (actually it will behave as if the variable wasn't supported at
> all). This guarantees that the value set by the user in the
> configuration file is respected.

This is already the case. By disallowing the flags to be changed once
the ST_FLAG_IMMUTABLE is set, the variable should no longer show up in
the list of supported variables and the main driver code will disallow
changing the value.

> Currently only battery.runtime.low overriding is allowed, which is
> necessary for proper functioning of ignorelb (if user decided to
> override that variable).

I'm not sure if I understand correctly what you're trying to do here,
but drivers should respect the ST_FLAG_IMMUTABLE at all times. Even if
the set value makes no sense at all, if people deliberately override a
value, this is what they should get.

> APC_CRUCIAL - this flag enforces checking if the variable is actually
> supported.

That might be a good idea, but for the above reason I have not
committed this patch now.

> Additionallly - the driver will ask user about reporting UPS models,
> which don't support command querying, but do support firmware query - in
> the other words - models which are not present in the compatibility table,
> but should be included there.

Good idea too, but be aware that the response to such messages has
typically been very low.

Please keep list traffic on the list (off-list replies will be rejected)