No subject

Mon Mar 21 21:14:43 UTC 2011

2010/2/17 Arnaud Quette

> 2010/2/17 Arjen de Korte:
> > Citeren Charles Lepple:
> >
> >> I wonder if there are any cross-compilation targets we could use to test
> >> some of the word-size assumptions. Also, we could add in some static
> >> analysis tools.
>
> FYI, I submitted NUT to the Coverity Scan program
> (http://scan.coverity.com) last september.
> 3 pings later, I still have no news, nor at least a first contact!
> maybe some of you may want to second that request?
>
> > Regarding the latter, I tried running 'splint' on a couple of source
> files a
> > while back. It didn't take long to realize that this might indeed improve
> > the quality of the code. But this will be a monumental task to do this
> NUT
> > wide, since without added markup (to tell splint what we're doing), this
> > will result in an endless list of warning messages.
> >
> > After nut-2.4.2 is out, I'll commit a couple of examples to show what
> would
> > be needed.
>
> excellent.
>
> don't hesitate to complete the QA document:
> http://buildbot.ghz.cc/~buildbot/docs/r2351-444/website/nut-qa.html
> (generated from docs/nut-qa.txt)
>
> I would really like to see the static code analysis subject addressed.
>
> Arjen, have you compared / tried other systems like Frama-C, BLAST or
> Clang?
>
> before investing in one system or another (which is part of 2.8), I
> would like to have a clear picture of the situation.
>
> cheers,
> Arnaud

cheers,
Linux / Unix Expert R&D - Eaton - http://powerquality.eaton.com

--90e6ba6e8714e801d7049f0fca7b

t would be nice if you could expose your ideas and the results of your test=
s.<br>Also, apart from Splint, have you tested any other systems?<br>From w=
hat I see, Splint and Frama-C are probably the most interesting.<br>
=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; border-left: 1px solid=
 rgb(204, 204, 204); padding-left: 1ex;">2010/2/17 Arjen de Korte:<br>
&gt; Citeren Charles Lepple:<br>
&gt;&gt; I wonder if there are any cross-compilation targets we could use t=
o test<br>
&gt;&gt; some of the word-size assumptions. Also, we could add in some stat=
ic<br>
&gt;&gt; analysis tools.<br>
(<a href=3D"http://scan.coverity.com" target=3D"_blank">http://scan.coverit=
y.com</a>) last september.<br>
3 pings later, I still have no news, nor at least a first contact!<br>
maybe some of you may want to second that request?<br>
&gt; Regarding the latter, I tried running &#39;splint&#39; on a couple of =
source files a<br>
&gt; while back. It didn&#39;t take long to realize that this might indeed =
improve<br>
&gt; the quality of the code. But this will be a monumental task to do this=
 NUT<br>
&gt; wide, since without added markup (to tell splint what we&#39;re doing)=
, this<br>
&gt; will result in an endless list of warning messages.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; After nut-2.4.2 is out, I&#39;ll commit a couple of examples to show w=
hat would<br>
&gt; be needed.<br>
don&#39;t hesitate to complete the QA document:<br>
.html" target=3D"_blank">http://buildbot.ghz.cc/~buildbot/docs/r2351-444/we=
bsite/nut-qa.html</a><br>
(generated from docs/nut-qa.txt)<br>
I would really like to see the static code analysis subject addressed.<br>
Arjen, have you compared / tried other systems like Frama-C, BLAST or Clang=
?<br>
before investing in one system or another (which is part of 2.8), I<br>
would like to have a clear picture of the situation.<br>
cheers,<br>
>Linux / Unix Expert R&amp;D - Eaton - <a href=3D"http://powerquality.eaton=
.com" target=3D"_blank">http://powerquality.eaton.com</a><br>Network UPS To=
ols (NUT) Project Leader - <a href=3D"http://www.networkupstools.org/" targ=