[Nut-upsdev] Experimenting with Git and GitHub

Arnaud Quette aquette.dev at gmail.com
Sat Nov 26 11:26:48 UTC 2011

Hi Charles,

sorry for the lag on this thread.
ESR's mail reminded me this forgotten draft...

2011/7/17 Charles Lepple <clepple at gmail.com>

> This is by no means official yet, but I put together a
> proof-of-concept svn-to-git conversion of the NUT source tree:
>
>   https://github.com/clepple/nut
>
> If you are interested in experimenting with the repository, feel free
> to clone it, but if we identify any problems with the Git import from
> SVN, be forewarned that I might blow away this repository and start
> over. In particular, I guessed at some of the preferred email
> addresses committers (based on the svn2cl.authors file), so yell if
> there are any corrections.
>
> I added a few of the most recent SVN branches and tags to the GitHub
> repository. They are all present in the local git-svn clone on my
> machine, but some of the branches are from very early on, and don't
> need to clutter up the branch listing. Let me know if I missed
> anything important. Worst case, we can compensate for the lack of
> proper merge support in SVN by merging those branches into the Git
> repository later.
>
> Due to slight differences in the way that Git and SVN represent tags,
> I tagged the Git commit which immediately precedes each SVN tag. This
> allows for easy identification of when a given commit was released.
> For instance, if someone wants to know when support for "Mustek Yukai
> PowerMust 1000" was added (SVN r2900), you could search for that text
> in gitk, and see that it is between tags v2.6.0 and v2.6.1 (meaning
> that 2.6.1 was the first supported release).
>
> Some of the power of GitHub isn't obvious until you see a project
> which has several active "forks" (git clones which are also stored on
> GitHub). The BuildBot network is IMHO a good example:
>
>   https://github.com/buildbot/buildbot/network
>
> Thoughts? Rants?

git is an excellent tool, and the one that will replace our good old (NUT)
Subversion repository.
github seems to offer nice features, though I've not gone very deeply ATM.

Before we can switch to git, I see 3 remaining points to address:
- ensure that all active developers are ready to move to git
- ensure that continuous integration (Buildbot) will continue to work (not
a problem since BB supports git)
- clarify the link between alioth (hosting main git repositories?!) and
github.
Ie, will there be an automatic sync between both, as we have with your Trac
instance?

Until we have at least closed the 2 latter points, we won't progress much.
Ie, I'm not going to commit on github, then ask you for a pull request, and
finally have you pushing back to the main Svn repo...

A transient solution may be to:
- switch BB to git (using github:clepple/nut)
- have developers switching progressively on git using github, ie clepple
and aquette first.
- in the meantime, you (Charles) continue to sync git with Svn, for those
still committing on Svn,
- once all active developers have switched, we can also switch Alioth
repository.

What do you think about it?

As a final note, I'm still looking for the Forge that would suits all our
needs:
- state of the art UI
- continuous integration and QA features
- better general work-flow to handle requests, bugs, roadmap
- better glue between elements, like being able to close trackers through
commit (a thing Debian offers for long)

I'm currently considering Tuleap: https://tuleap.net/
But there is again the hosting issue...
Ideas and comments welcome!