[Nut-upsdev] patch: Replace many usleep and some sleep calls with nanosleep

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Tue Oct 4 13:10:23 UTC 2011

On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 1:42 PM, Arnaud Quette <aquette.dev at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Regid,
>
> 2011/10/3 Stuart D Gathman <stuart at bmsi.com>:
>> On 10/03/2011 01:02 PM, Regid Ichira wrote:
>>> -             usleep(250000);
>>> +             struct timespec delay = {0, 250e6}; nanosleep(&delay, NULL);
>>>
>> Would it be better to define a local version of usleep in terms of
>> nanosleep?  I suspect the library version already does that, but if the
>> library version is going away, a local version is much more concise and
>> readable than calling nanosleep directly.  If there are concerns about
>> linking, the local version could be, e.g, u_sleep, since all the calls
>> are getting touched anyway.
>
> sorry, but Stuart is right.
> I should have replied to your other (well, this one) report on this.
> Using AC_REPLACE_FUNCS(... usleep ...) in configure.in and providing a
> common/usleep.c->usleep() replacement implementation, in case the
> system doesn't provide it, is a better way to go. At least for now.
> That way, we avoid regression, while supporting systems that do not
> provide usleep.

Out of curiosity, what systems support nanosleep but don't support usleep?

What would be more worthwhile (IMHO) is to modify the code to make use
of the remaining time returned by nanosleep. Otherwise, I am not sure
I see the benefit of this change.

Related is the question of what should be done with the Windows
branch, which defines usleep() in terms of Sleep(). If nothing else,
we should defer this until the Windows branch is ready to merge.

--
- Charles Lepple