[Nut-upsdev] bestfortress driver establishes/loses/establishes communication and so on...

Oliver Kluge ok23 at kluge-digital.de
Tue Feb 7 22:49:06 UTC 2012

Hi Arnaud,

if you got tons of material including several protocol revisions, maybe
a broader approach might useful?

I don't want to talk you into rewriting all this code, but I see space
for some improvement and let my imagination run wild :-) Nut drivers
make a difference between Fortresses and "newer Fortresses" without
really drawing a sharp line.

Are those different protocols fundamentally different? I mean, is a
division of different Fortress models into two separate nut drivers
actually indicated? Is there a revolutionary change instead of evolution?

If not, what about joining the two? If yes, could the division line
which model needs which driver be made more visible? Or could the driver
instruct the user to it's counterpart if the user chose the wrong one?

Wow, all these changes must have meant tons of work for the engineers of
those days, bearing in mind that a UPS with such capabilities needed a
PCB full of circuits. And indeed the Fortress has a really large PCB
compared to contemporary models. And in those days there were no
firmware updates. Firmware was forever and essentially had to be bugfree
(maybe we should re-vitalize that old paradigm :-) I'm not sure if I saw
even an EPROM in there, maybe the code is inside the processor...

At the time when this thing was built, if somebody would have told that
a time would come where I would update the firmware of my phone, my VCR
and my TV every couple of months :-)

And at the time you had to support a bunch of operating systems, there
were unix versions, Windows, an OS/2 version. I'm quite amazed that the
Checkups Windows driver even runs on 7 and Vista, even 64 bit...

Sorry, I just got a little side-tracked :-)

Yours
Oliver