[Nut-upsdev] [HCL] Tripp-Lite Omnismart500 supported by tripplite_usb

Matt Schulte gimpyestrada at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 17:53:06 UTC 2012

On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 7:10 AM, Charles Lepple <clepple at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Feb 14, 2012, at 3:42 AM, Arnaud Quette wrote:
>
>>> shutdown sequence testing results:
>>> Not sure exactly what you would like to see here, but after
>>> configuring everything and pulling the plug the system shut down
>>> correctly when the UPS dropped below 20%.
>>
>> we just need a confirmation as you did, plus the fact that the UPS was
>> powered off in the end.
>
> Not critical, but did the UPS power on automatically after you plugged it back in, or did you have to press the power button manually?

I might have just powered back up if I had given it more time, but I
was sort of anxious to get my server back up.  I plugged the UPS back
in, then reached over and turned on the server.  It didn't like that
and dropped power to the server.  Then I pressed the power button to
turn it off and then on again, then was able to power up my server
again.

>>> /etc/log/daemon.log:
>>> Feb 13 10:11:47 backup upsmon[12058]: UPS tripplite at localhost battery is low
>>> Feb 13 10:11:47 backup upsd[11649]: Client upsmon at 127.0.0.1 set FSD on UPS [trip
>>> plite]
>>> Feb 13 10:11:47 backup upsmon[12058]: Executing automatic power-fail shutdown
>>> Feb 13 10:11:47 backup upsmon[12058]: Auto logout and shutdown proceeding
>>>
>>> link:
>>> http://www.tripplite.com/en/products/model.cfm?txtModelID=21
>
> Tripp Lite tends to reuse marketing names for products even when the inner workings have changed. That web page describes how the UPS works with the auto-shutdown code in Windows and OS X, but I don't think that applies to UPSes which work with the tripplite_usb driver (that would be more in line with usbhid-ups). Approximately when was this UPS manufactured?

It was purchased in 2004 so I would guess sometime around then.

>> thanks for your report.
>> I've just added an entry to the HCL.
>> For the sake of completion, could you please also send upsrw and upscmd outputs?
>
> Agreed, this would be good for verification.

Did the outputs that I sent just before this email have what you need?

>> I leave up to Charles, the driver author, to ask more info for
>> potential driver improvement.
>
> At this point, I am not actively working on this driver, so any improvements would be contingent on your availability to test new code (and tolerating the potential downtime that would go with that testing). Also, I don't have a system with PowerAlert.

I am game for testing if you have anything you want to do.  I just may
take a day or two to wait for an off peak time.  I also do not have a
system with PowerAlert.

Matt Schulte