[Nut-upsdev] [HCL] Tripp-Lite Omnismart500 supported by tripplite_usb

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Wed Feb 15 23:47:55 UTC 2012

On Feb 15, 2012, at 12:58 PM, Matt Schulte wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 8:51 PM, Charles Lepple <clepple at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Feb 14, 2012, at 12:56 PM, Matt Schulte wrote:
>>
>>> Why does it say "battery.test.status: Battery bad - replace?"
>>
>> Not to be too literal, but it comes from this block of code in tripplite_usb.c, which may or may not be accurate for your specific model.
>>
>>        if(tl_model == TRIPP_LITE_SMARTPRO || tl_model == TRIPP_LITE_OMNIVS_2001 || tl_model == TRIPP_LITE_SMART_0004) {
>>                switch(s_value[2]) {
>>                        case '0':
>>                                dstate_setinfo("battery.test.status", "Battery OK");
>>                                break;
>>                        case '1':
>>                                dstate_setinfo("battery.test.status", "Battery bad - replace");
>>                                break;
>>                        case '2':
>>                                status_set("CAL");
>>                                break;
>>                        case '3':
>>                                status_set("OVER");
>>                                dstate_setinfo("battery.test.status", "Overcurrent?");
>>                                break;
>>                        case '4':
>>                                /* The following message is confusing, and may not be accurate: */
>>                                /* dstate_setinfo("battery.test.status", "Battery state unknown"); */
>>                                break;
>>
>> Usually, after you first plug in the UPS, the status bit says "4", which apparently means that the battery charger hasn't seen much of the slope of the charge or discharge curve yet. (If the battery is just being topped off, you can't really tell its capacity by the instantaneous current or voltage.)
>>
>> After a deep discharge cycle, the charging circuit has seen both the rate of discharge as well as the rate of charge, and it can guess as to whether the battery is close to the end of its life. Lead-acid batteries are usually good for 3-5 years.
>>
> Any idea why it would decide to throw the "bad" flag on a new battery?
> I recently (as in maybe two weeks ago) had to replace the battery in
> the UPS.

It's possible that the UPS needs to be recalibrated somehow - is there a procedure in the manual?

Unfortunately, we don't know the command necessary to initiate a deep discharge test from the USB side, but maybe there is a front panel button sequence.

I don't think we've heard that this is necessary on Tripp Lite UPSes, but some APC units apparently get confused if there is no ground connection while discharging. (We'll need to replace all occurrences of "pull the plug" with something like "turn off the power strip" or similar.)

--
Charles Lepple
clepple at gmail