[Nut-upsdev] no serial number for Tripp-Lite SMART3000RM2U?

Stuart D Gathman stuart at bmsi.com
Thu Jun 7 20:35:59 UTC 2012

On Jun 7, Seth Galitzer transmitted in part:

> upsrw reports ups.id is a string, which could be useful if I could match
> against it, but if I read your statement correctly, I cannot.
>
> Matching on USB bus number would not be optimal, since this changes even when
> a device is unplugged and replugged along with in between system boots.  So
> I'd have to look them all up and reconfigure ups.conf with every reboot.
> Doable, but a royal pain to maintain.

Even worse, some UPS USB chips reconnect on every self test, for example
APC (although APC at least has a proper serial number).

And if you think dealing with serial free UPSes is bad, we had some
printers with no serial number.  Interesting user interface ("I see
a new USB printer.  What printer did you just plugin or turn on?")

After a few years, we laid down the law:  we do not support USB devices
with no serial number (they are pretty much only useful on a single user
system).