[Nut-upsdev] some fixes, improvements, and new features (EPO and DYING) for NUT

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Sun Mar 11 00:12:48 UTC 2012

On Mar 9, 2012, at 2:43 PM, Greg A. Woods wrote:

> Note that I think it's critically important not to over-load the meaning
> of these state and status report words, especially not between device
> driver programs and the rest of the control infrastructure and
> communications protocols.

I think you made a good point elsewhere, though, that developing control software to cover all of these cases is an organic process, and in that sort of development model, you sometimes have to borrow certain features for a little backwards compatibility.

At the moment, the only two flag combinations which will cause a released version of NUT's upsmon to shut down are "FSD" and "OB LB". Considering how many distributions still carry NUT 2.2.x and 2.4.x, it may be a while before they catch up to these newer shutdown flags. Hence my suggestion of FSD plus something more specific (possibly including ups.alarm values) to indicate what is going on, while still sending an unambiguous shutdown signal to both old and new upsmon clients.

--
Charles Lepple
clepple at gmail