[Nut-upsdev] NUT protocol versions (was Re: [nut-commits] svn commit r3618 - in trunk: . docs server)

Arnaud Quette aquette.dev at gmail.com
Wed May 23 08:58:58 UTC 2012

Hey Charles,

2012/5/23 Charles Lepple <clepple at gmail.com>:
> On May 22, 2012, at 7:47 PM, Charles Lepple wrote:
>
>> On May 22, 2012, at 10:49 AM, Arnaud Quette wrote:
>>
>>> Author: aquette
>>> Date: Tue May 22 14:49:15 2012
>>> New Revision: 3618
>>>
>>> Log:
>>> Add versioning to the network protocol
>>>
>>> Due to the number of recent evolutions to the network protocol, along
>>> with other possible future changes, NUT network protocol is now
>>> versioned. The chapter "Network protocol information", of the developer
>>> guide, stores the revision history, while a new "NETVER" command serves
>>> this information through the protocol
>>

>> I really thought we had discussed not using numeric version numbers :-(
>>
>> This should really be more of a "does the server have this capability?" question.
>

> Perhaps "discussed" is an exaggeration... "mentioned":

damn, it's part of the threads with Greg, that I completely missed,
and that I still have to actually read...
and since Greg is still not back, I've left these aside for the time
being, to focus on 2.6.4.

the NETVER mod is more a basic way to finally track the protocol changes.
I was hesitating between an introspection system, that indeed allow to
check the capabilities, and a simple "version" that implies these
caps.

so, looking again at the mail you pointed, I'm still unsure if I
should revert NETVER, or leave it since it could still be an
interesting basic check, WRT an introspection mechanism...

cheers,