[Nut-upsdev] libnutclient pull request

Arnaud Quette aquette.dev at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 22:31:31 UTC 2012

2012/11/13 Arnaud Quette <aquette.dev at gmail.com>

> Thanks Charles.

Thanks again Charles for your work on the merge.
and sorry for not having caught this issue prior to the merge.

To other readers: this mail will probably be cryptic to anyone not familiar
with Asciidoc / [G]roff / automake / NUT build system.
it's mostly targeted to Charles and ML archiving, for explaining commits
r3777 and 3779.

> Don't worry, I'll be fixing the build this evening (another r3767 side
> effect! ).

it's now fixed in r3777, with some explanations.
I would add that it's a convenient way to fool our "copying dance", while
providing the users with one more way to access these manpages ;)

that said, the most important point was still not addressed (still related
fo r3767):
generated nutclient_*.3 files were actually not installed...
only the first in the NAME list (also used as Header) gets installed.
and the same goes for blazer_{ser,usb}.

both are fixed in r3779, not that elegantly, but in the general spirit of
docs/man/Makefile.am:
something that definitely needs attention for rewrite.
iirc, last time I tried, I ended up wanting to implement something in
automake...

for the side note:
- I've minimized addition and modification by sticking to the "1 src.txt =>
N manpages.3".
this limits to listing generated target files in the Makefile, but may
generate maintenance troubles ...
- since "libnutclient*.3" targets (actually having "libnutclient*.txt
source counterpart) are listed first, all "libnutclient*.3" and
"nutclient*.3" files are generated at once, and everything is alright. The
latter would otherwise fail if called first.

sorry again for the buildslaves blaming you :-/
and also probably for the headache caused by the present series of mails...
and to Emilien who felt guilty too ;)

cheers,
Arnaud