[Nut-upsdev] referring to earlier SVN commits

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 02:24:49 UTC 2012

On Nov 19, 2012, at 2:47 PM, Arnaud Quette wrote:

> 2012/11/19 Charles Lepple <clepple at gmail.com>
> On Nov 19, 2012, at 5:39 AM, Arnaud Quette wrote:
>
>> Hi Charles,
>>
>> 2012/11/15 Charles Lepple <clepple at gmail.com>
>> On Nov 13, 2012, at 3:37 PM, Arnaud Quette wrote:
>>
>> > Fix Buildbot failures on commit r3776
>>
>> One small request in the commit messages: please mention exact commit numbers only if the commit is hard to find. Something like "fix buildbot failures from previous commit" is specific enough, without making the reader look up a specific commit number.

^ this is more for future reference than anything

>> right, sorry about that. I've made myself the exact same comment, but had no time until now to fix the msg.
>> The summary line is now "Fix Buildbot failure on missing manual page", the rest is unchanged.
>

> Wait, where did you fix it?
>
> hem, sorry :-/
> I've fixed it directly on the server, as usual, using "svnadmin setlog".
> but I can revert it easily if you prefer.
>
> ESR and I are trying to debug reposurgeon, and we typically use his 'svnpull' script to synchronize the local mirror of the SVN repository. svnpull uses svnsync, which I don't believe will detect direct modifications to the SVN repository.
>
> If you want to change a commit message, let us know and we'll add the change to the nut.box script here: https://gitorious.org/reposurgeon/nut-conversion/trees/master
>
> so, do you prefer that I rollback the msg, and you address it through nut.box?

I went ahead and did a full svnsync just in case, so I should have your updates. It's not that we need to do the changes through nut.box, but that changing the repository directly can introduce discrepancies that are hard to track down if we don't know about them. (Theoretically, two people converting the NUT repository with reposurgeon should get exactly the same Git commit IDs - assuming that the starting SVN repository is identical.)

Whether you want to change it on the SVN side, or the reposurgeon side, just let me know so I know to look out for that change.

Thanks,

--
Charles Lepple
clepple at gmail