[Nut-upsdev] upsmon.conf::POWERDOWNFLAG

Arnaud Quette aquette.dev at gmail.com
Thu Nov 29 12:07:56 UTC 2012

2012/11/28 <VaclavKrpec at eaton.com>

> Hello everybody,

Hi Vasek,

I've just noticed that POWERDOWNFLAG defaults to
> /etc/killpower in upsmon.conf.
>
> I believe that such files belong to the /run sub-tree.
> Not only because it's not a config. file; mainly because
> many embedded systems actually have most of the FS
> read-only and have only the /tmp, /var and /run
> writable...
>
> Is there any particular reason to keep the file in /etc?

on /run: not all the world is Linux (sadly) ;)
on /tmp, /var and the like: by the time this killpower flag file is useful,
at the very end of the system shutdown process, these dirs may have been
wiped out. Refer to
http://www.networkupstools.org/docs/user-manual.chunked/ar01s06.html#Shutdown_design

so, /etc, or {sysconfdir} to be right (I've just fixed it in commit r3793),
is still the best default.
note that r3793 was another long standing commit underway...
that said, everyone is free to set this to whatever values that better fits
particular needs.

managing from legacy Unix and Windows to the bleeding edge Linux implies
some compromise...

cheers,
Engineering Linux/Unix Expert - Opensource Solutions Lead - Eaton -
http://opensource.eaton.com
NUT (Network UPS Tools) Project Leader - http://www.networkupstools.org
Free Software Developer - http://arnaud.quette.fr