[Nut-upsdev] Authorization to publish the Riello UPS protocols

Arnaud Quette aquette.dev at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 22:17:19 UTC 2012

2012/10/26 Massimo Zampieri <M.Zampieri at riello-ups.com>

>  Dear Arnaud

Massimo, Elio,

first, please subscribe to the NUT developers mailing list (added as Cc of
the present mail), since it's the best way to interact with the NUT project
(i.e, publicly).

@Elio: don't be afraid to introduce yourself and your work, and ask for
advices on this NUT mailing list.
we're not the LKML, and no external developer was threatened during our
development ;)

finally we have developed the NUT driver for our UPS. Added there are the

Can you please tell me how they will be compiled? ****

> We have used the Linux Ubuntu x86_64, and we keep the “experimental” for
> the driver.****

@Elio: please ensure that you conform to our development rules:
http://www.networkupstools.org/docs/developer-guide.chunked/ar01s03.html

without a thorough review, your attachment violates many points:
- C++ style comments,
- space indentation
- inline comments in Italian
- missing source reference of the derivative work (probably the blazer
driver) and other part of headers

on the patch submission:
http://www.networkupstools.org/docs/developer-guide.chunked/ar01s03.html#_submitting_patches

note that your patch misses:
- build rules in drivers/Makefile.am
- a manual page. Refer to docs/man/skel.txt and other files in the same
directory.
- new entries in the hardware compatibility list (data/driver.list)

then use "svn diff > ../riello.diff" from your subversion checkout
directory, to produce the patch.
please compress the patch before sending it to the list.

So we wish to know for the other platforms how the porting will be done and
> also the time line.****

once approved, your patch will be merged into the main development tree.
compilation tests will automatically happen on our Buildbot
QA<http://buildbot.networkupstools.org/>system.

I've discussed this in length, in my previous (below) answer.

Sorry if we ask you many question but we have no experience for this kind
> of shared development. For any question please don’t hesitate to contact me.
> ****

as told, please use the NUT developers mailing list. It's crucial to Free
Software development!

cheers,
Arnaud

**