[Nut-upsdev] Support for SMS (Brazil) usb models

Arnaud Quette aquette.dev at gmail.com
Wed Oct 31 18:43:54 UTC 2012

Hi Peter,

2012/10/31 Peter Senna Tschudin <peter.senna at gmail.com>

> On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 11:43 PM, Arnaud Quette <aquette.dev at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >

> > 2012/10/30 Peter Senna Tschudin <peter.senna at gmail.com>

> >> Hi Arnaud!
> >

> > Hi Peter,

> simple

> integrate
> >> Yes, how?

Charles made a good comment on a protocol difference (padding) that may
make it worth to create a blazer derivative.
but I'm not yet sure since it could well be another communication
subdriver, as in the USB version...
I have in mind, for some time now, to create a more advanced version, that
would support Q5 (a superset of Q1), i.e blazer 3rd generation (counting
the first 'megatec' driver).
I need to think a bit more, and check a few things.

knowing that you don't have your SMS handy, for the time being, that would
be good if you could familiarize with blazer and the general design of NUT
driver. it will be useful in all cases.

anyway, considering the easiness of creating a NUT driver, you may end up
porting it very quickly as a new driver, and have Rodrigo testing it. as a
second step, we can check for a potential driver consolidation.

> > great!
> > in fact, this protocol is just a variation of Q1.
> > check the blazer_ser driver . we may have to check for some changes
> though ('M' instead of 'Q' for muting buzzer, for example)
> I've identified some query/reply. See:
>
> https://github.com/petersenna/nobreakSMS/blob/master/userland/nobreakSMS.c#L322
>
> But one known issue is that I do not know how to specify the test time.
> See:
>
> https://github.com/petersenna/nobreakSMS/blob/master/userland/nobreakSMS.c#L406

theoretically, it should be 'T<n>' where <n> is a number of minutes from 01
to 99.

in NUT, we just have a way to request a quick test ('T', such as in your
driver) and a longer one using 'TL' (running until low battery):
(from blazer.c)
401:        { "test.battery.start.deep", "TL\r" },
402:        { "test.battery.start.quick", "T\r" },

> This does the test for 10 seconds and I know that the time is on the
> query, but I did not understood how to change the time value. Do you
> know how to do it?

> the
> >> The USB version uses Cypress chip to do USB-RS232 conversion, in the
> >> end the USB version is also serial...
> >

> > what are the USB vendorID and productID?
> I do not know and cant reply until I'm back home in more than 30 days.
> I'm in France and left my SMS UPS in Brazil.
> (...)

Rodrigo answered this point to me privately, then again to the list:
04b4:5500

cheers,
Network UPS Tools (NUT) Project Leader - http://www.networkupstools.org
Free Software Developer - http://arnaud.quette.fr