[Nut-upsdev] SOLVED Re: kernel update to 3.12.5-1, now: upsd[617]: getaddrinfo: Servname not supported for ai_socktype

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Wed Dec 18 06:31:06 UTC 2013

On 12/17/2013 05:54 PM, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
> Now hold on there...
>
> you said the problem started when you updated kernels - not when
> you changed the config file - did you change the config file or was
> it wrong before and the old kernel accepted it anyway?
>
> ted

both occurred at approximately the same time. Apparently, in my update/review
process I reviewed my conf file and saw that the port was not present after my
Class C address line, so I added the port, arrowed about a bit and did the old
':wq' -- while I was in insert mode -- and then only backspaced over the 'wq' to
correct it. So after the reboot it failed...

Perfect storm and getting older all at once. After pulling my hair out, hacking
upsd.c to dump all getaddrinfo() values, then tracing the origin of server->port
through conf.c and upsd.c, hardcoding server->port at 3943 and finding it
working, the lightbulb went on that the stray ':' must have been something I
screwed up in the .conf files. so 'grep \: /etc/ups/*.conf' disclosed the ---
shame...

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.