[Nut-upsdev] Gamatronic company

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Wed Dec 18 19:31:51 UTC 2013

Stuart Gathman <stuart at gathman.org>:
> If that doesn't happen soon enough, offering a unit to play with
> works wonders - especially if the unit is "home sized" (the $500 to
> $1000 price range for around 1000VA to 1500VA line interactive or
> better that a geek would buy for a home or home office server).
> Hopefully the larger commercial units speak the same protocol as the
> smaller ones.

If even that fails (and it is *highly* unlikely to fail), offer the
eval unit and a short-term contract engagement to any of the senior
devs willing to step up.

This is how I got my most recent consulting gig. It worked out really,
really well for my client - what they spent to buy my time over about
10 days was a *lot* less than what they'd have have dropped in overhead
and opportunity costs if they'd put one of their in-house people onto
learning the internals of my code.

I got $5K and a sweet little piece of eval kit, they got a solution,
everybody walked away happy.  It may say "free" on the label
but a little cash still makes an excellent lubricant.