[Nut-upsdev] Best Axxium Pro, Model Series 0650?

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Fri Jun 7 02:36:54 UTC 2013

On Jun 6, 2013, at 2:58 PM, Jim Seymour wrote:

> Hi There,
>
> We have this rather large-ish floor-standing Best Axxium Pro, Model
> Series 0650.
>
> I tried using both the "bestups" and "blazer_ser" drivers with it, but
> no go. So before I go any further: *Should* one of these work with it
> and, if not, do I have any options?  (E.g.: Modify a current driver,
> resuscitate one that was started and abandoned, etc.?  I can code.)

UPS vendors have a habit of changing out the innards without changing the model name. So the answer about the correct driver will depend on which UPS model and generation this is most similar to.

Some of the documentation on the web refers to the "Check-UPS II" software. If you have an original manual for this UPS, does it suggest a specific monitoring tool? If it is Check-UPS, I think that is closest to the bestups driver-- but it might not recognize your particular model's ID string. (The bestups driver is very light on debugging messages.)

Kjell's suggestion of bcmxcp might also be correct, but the Axxium product brochure looks to be of a similar vintage to the Best Power Patriot Pro II that I had, which came with a Check-UPS II CD.

> My test platform was nut 2.4.3-1ubuntu3.2 under Ubuntu 10.04 LTS on a
> laptop.  I have confirmed the serial port works.  I used a 9-pin null
> modem adapter, as both the laptop and Axxium Pro were transmitting on
> pin 3.

The bestups driver might be more complete than blazer_ser at version 2.4.3-- there are some later comments in the blazer_ser driver that seem to cover additional Best quirks.

If you run the driver directly with at least two -D flags (something like /lib/nut/bestups -DD -a name-of-ups) what log messages do you get?

--
Charles Lepple
clepple at gmail