[Nut-upsdev] New APC "SMT" UPSes support MODBUS, will there be support in NUT?

Arnaud Quette aquette.dev at gmail.com
Fri Sep 13 21:46:50 UTC 2013

Hello Ted,

2013/9/11 Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm at mittelstaedt.us>

> Hi All,
>
>   About a month ago APC announced they were including MODBUS protocol
> support in their new APC UPSes.  The technical note on this is here:
>
> http://www.apcmedia.com/**salestools/MPAO-98KJ7F/MPAO-**98KJ7F_R0_EN.pdf<http://www.apcmedia.com/salestools/MPAO-98KJ7F/MPAO-98KJ7F_R0_EN.pdf>
>
> "Application Note #176  Modbus Implementation in APC Smart-UPS"
>
> The APC "announcement" appeared on their site in their user blogs by an
> APC employee, here:
>
> http://forums.apc.com/thread/**5374?start=30&tstart=0<http://forums.apc.com/thread/5374?start=30&tstart=0>
>
> It states:  "we have recently released a firmware update for certain
> Smart-UPS SMT models (UPS 09.1)"
>
> APC made firmware updates to their SMT UPSes for this new protocol,
> which are referred to here:
>
> http://www.schneider-electric.**us/sites/us/en/support/faq/**
> faq_main.page?page=content&**country=US&lang=en&id=**
> FA164737&redirect=true<http://www.schneider-electric.us/sites/us/en/support/faq/faq_main.page?page=content&country=US&lang=en&id=FA164737&redirect=true>
>
> It appears from this the affected models are:
>
> SMT Towers with firmware >= UPS 08.0
> SMT 2U Rackmount
> SMT 1U Rackmount (Follow SMX <=1500VA firmware)
>
> The announcement also appeared on the apcupsd mailing list here:
>
> http://blog.gmane.org/gmane.**comp.sysutils.apcupsd.user/**month=20130801<http://blog.gmane.org/gmane.comp.sysutils.apcupsd.user/month=20130801>
>
> where it was stated that code was available.
>
> I understand that the Socomec ITyS UPS (2000VA) UPS also uses this same
> Modbus protocol.
>
> Anyway, with all of that said, will the NUT developers be looking into
> implementing this support into NUT in the future?

I'd like to say yes, since modbus support in NUT is something planned for
years.
but sadly, no.

for now, I've dumped my preliminary work and a ticket:
https://github.com/networkupstools/nut/issues/50

If someone has time + motivation + a modbus dev. (I've currently none of
these 3), I can drive him on completing this.

Ted

> PS  by the way - NUT allowed me to get data out of my 15 year old Compaq
> R3000 UPS - I haven't got reporting data from it since NT 4 Server became
> obsolete.  Many many thanks!

 cool, I always love to hear that.

cheers,