[Nut-upsdev] usbhid-ups pull request for consideration

Baruch Even baruch at ev-en.org
Sat Apr 19 06:23:42 UTC 2014

Just to put another cent of thought in the bucket:

On Sat, Apr 19, 2014 at 8:23 AM, Stephen J. Butler <stephen.butler at gmail.com
> wrote:

> 3. The very nature of USB in a home means that sometimes the driver will
> lose communications with the UPS (accidently unplug the hub, needed a port
> for a camera, etc). This shouldn't be a fatal error. I've tried to detect
> these situations and let usbhid-ups retry gracefully. Also, at startup the
> UPS no longer has to be immediately present. It will keep retrying
> upsdrv_initups() until it finds one (only implemented for usbhid-ups, but
> someone could do the work for other drivers).

This is a good idea in any situation, even in a data-center setting the
connection to the ups may be lost at times (disconnection, ups failure,
etc.) the connection must be retried consistently with some fixed delay to
avoid overloading the system. There should be a way to alert about this to
the users but that's somewhat outside the scope of the nut project itself.

Baruch