[Nut-upsdev] nut driver for SMS (brazil) UPS

Thiago Tiedtke dos Reis tiedtke at gmail.com
Wed Feb 19 12:52:48 UTC 2014

Hi Charles,

I'll try the blazer_ser and the nutdrv_qx with version 2.7.1 later.

Below, the result of 'lsusb -vvv' requested:

Bus 004 Device 002: ID 04b4:5500 Cypress Semiconductor Corp. HID->COM RS232
Adapter
Device Descriptor:
  bLength                18
  bDescriptorType         1
  bcdUSB               1.00
  bDeviceSubClass         0
  bDeviceProtocol         0
  bMaxPacketSize0         8
  idVendor           0x04b4 Cypress Semiconductor Corp.
  idProduct          0x5500 HID->COM RS232 Adapter
  bcdDevice            0.00
  iManufacturer           1
  iProduct                2
  iSerial                 0
  bNumConfigurations      1
  Configuration Descriptor:
    bLength                 9
    bDescriptorType         2
    wTotalLength           41
    bNumInterfaces          1
    bConfigurationValue     1
    iConfiguration          4
    bmAttributes         0x80
      (Bus Powered)
    MaxPower              100mA
    Interface Descriptor:
      bLength                 9
      bDescriptorType         4
      bInterfaceNumber        0
      bAlternateSetting       0
      bNumEndpoints           2
      bInterfaceClass         3 Human Interface Device
      bInterfaceSubClass      0 No Subclass
      bInterfaceProtocol      0 None
      iInterface              0
        HID Device Descriptor:
          bLength                 9
          bDescriptorType        33
          bcdHID               1.00
          bCountryCode            0 Not supported
          bNumDescriptors         1
          bDescriptorType        34 Report
          wDescriptorLength      37
         Report Descriptors:
           ** UNAVAILABLE **
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x81  EP 1 IN
        bmAttributes            3
          Transfer Type            Interrupt
          Synch Type               None
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x0008  1x 8 bytes
        bInterval               1
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x02  EP 2 OUT
        bmAttributes            3
          Transfer Type            Interrupt
          Synch Type               None
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x0008  1x 8 bytes
        bInterval               1

When I try to use blazer_ser, the command:  sudo upsdrvctl start

Result the below message:

Network UPS Tools - UPS driver controller 2.6.4
Network UPS Tools - Megatec/Q1 protocol serial driver 1.55 (2.6.4)

Unable to open /dev/ttyUSB0: Input/output error

  Current user id: nut (116)
Serial port owner: root (0)
Serial port group: nut (122)
     Mode of port: 1660

Things to try:

 - Use another port (with the right permissions)

 - Fix the port owner/group or permissions on this port

 - Run this driver as another user (upsdrvctl -u or 'user=...' in ups.conf).
   See upsdrvctl(8) and ups.conf(5).

Fatal error: unusable configuration
Driver failed to start (exit status=1)

If I try to access the port  /dev/ttyUSB0 using minicon (minicom  -D
/dev/ttyUSB0) or cat ( cat /dev/ttyUSB0 ), the access to device is denied.

Then, I try these instructions [0], but nothing changes when I try to open
the serial port:

# /etc/udev/rules.d/99_nut-serialups.rules
KERNEL=="ttyUSB0", GROUP="nut"

[0]
http://blog.shadypixel.com/monitoring-a-ups-with-nut-on-debian-or-ubuntu-linux

My /etc/ups/ups.conf has the following configuration:

[ups]
        driver = blazer_ser
        port = /dev/ttyUSB0

Any tips about that?