[Nut-upsdev] Logic problem in NUT with upscode2 driver

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Thu Feb 20 14:55:16 UTC 2014

On Feb 19, 2014, at 12:50 PM, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

>  Worse, however, is if there's a power failure right near the end
> of the 2-days-off cycle.  That happened to me last week - it was a
> short duration 15 second loss - and the upscode2 driver decided it needed to issue a forced shutdown.
>
>  Very likely this was because upscode2 had decided the batteries
> were dangerously low discharged.  But they were NOT discharged and
> easily kept the servers up and online.

As far as I can tell, the upscode2 driver does not use the battery voltage to determine when to shut down - it uses one of the UPS status bits from the STAT or STMF responses.

We have a few other drivers that calculate a cosmetic state-of-charge, and off the top of my head, the drivers have parameters to adjust for the variations in voltages sensed by the UPS. That's certainly a possible improvement for this driver, but I don't think it is going to fix the internal UPS determination of whether the battery is low.

--
Charles Lepple
clepple at gmail