[Nut-upsdev] Documenting the NUT driver-qualification process

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Wed Jul 9 10:31:27 UTC 2014

I think the time for me to get involved in NUT documentation has come
again.

Late last week I had to buy a UPS under time pressure.  The Eaton unit
that thus project gifted me with in 2006(?) died during a severe
thunderstorm watch, so it was off to MicroCenter to get a replacement
pronto.

I wound up buying an APC BN700MC.  It was what they had in the
performance range I needed.  The removable battery door was pleasing.

Based on the experience, I have updated the UPS HOWTO:

http://www.catb.org/esr/ldp/UPS-HOWTO.html

The bad news, however, is that (a) this is not a NUT-supported device,
and (b) the (poorly documented) NUT process for discovering and
customizing a driver failed at the first step.  Running upsstart
gave a driver fail message containing no clues as to how to recover.

This is definitely USB and probably a fairly generic hidups device.
There is no good reason for customizing a driver profile to be
so difficult.

What I'd like to do is this: confer in real-time, perhaps via IRC,
with someone who knows this process.  Ask about every step (thought
processes and diagnostics).  *Write them down* and turn this into a
document on how to qualify and support a new device.

Volunteer, please?

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may
be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons
than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may
sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those
who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they
do so with the approval of their consciences.
	-- C. S. Lewis