[Nut-upsdev] [Nut-upsuser] Nut-2.7.3 & gcc-3.3.6

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 13:56:54 UTC 2015

On Jul 6, 2015, at 4:40 AM, Sergey Talchuk wrote:

> Dear developers,
>
> libnutclient has been added as a C++ alternative to libupsclient in 2.7.1. As a result I can't compile nut 2.7.3 with gcc-3.3.6.

What does the error message look like? Does the configure script fail when checking for the C++ compiler, or later on?
> There wasn't such a problem with nut-2.6.5.
>
> Is it possible to add a configuration parameter like '-without-libnutclient' to provide better compatibility with older gcc versions please (since libnutclient is an alternative to libupsclient)?

Certainly possible - the NUT clients (upsc, upsmon, etc.) do not use libnutclient. I would like the defaults to work, though - hence the previous question.
> Or maybe use C instead of C++ for libnutclient?

As I understand it, the purpose of libnutclient was to provide a more object-oriented API to NUT. I'm not sure we need two different C APIs.

> Unfortunately, is not that easy to upgrade glibc in an embedded system.

Thanks for the feedback. I agree that libnutclient should be optional, but it is good to confirm that it is a problem in the field.

No need to email both NUT lists - we can post results to nut-upsuser later.

--
Charles Lepple
clepple at gmail