[Nut-upsdev] Some thoughts on loss of communication

john hart jsamcr at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 21 19:06:17 UTC 2015

As a follow up on my last message, where I talked about loss of USB communication with my Asium P700 UPS, I was thinking about some possible improvements.

1.  When communications are lost, instead of shutting down immediately why not set a flag and then stop the driver and then restart the driver.  If communication is not re-established, and the flag was set, then shut down the system.  Perhaps this is already being done.2.  In my case, when the shutdown occurs due to loss of communication, the NUT software tries to turn off the UPS.  It can't do that because there is no communication.  This cause the shutdown process to hang up for some period of time.  In my opinion this is not good because the system may crash during that period when it is hung.  The software should skip trying to shut off the UPS and just execute a normal shutdown.
Just my thoughts.  Maybe there is a way to configure exactly what I have suggested and I just don't know how to do it.  LOL!
Viva la France ! I'm not irrational, I'm just quantum probabilistic.