[Nut-upsdev] Solar controller?

Petr Kubánek petr at kubanek.net
Mon Jan 2 11:46:30 UTC 2017

Hi NUT developers,

we rely on NUT to access valuable UPS data for our autonomous
telescopes (see http://rts2.org for list, locations are not complete..)
. Thanks for a software which does exactly what we need.

Now we are starting new era, with installing telescopes on hostile
spots without infrastructure. So we will have a solar cells, storing
power to batteries during day, to be used during night to run the
observatory.

We bought Victron Energy solar system, including theirs invertor and
battery monitor. Victron has its own tools, but the serial protocol is
well documented and quite easy to understand.

I would like to add NUT driver. But I will need to add new variables,
showing state of different solar panels, connected to the controller.
Can you suggest where to put those?

Can you also discourage me if proving NUT driver for solar cells is a
bad idea? I know how to write direct RTS2 drivers, but I believe using
NUT layer will bring more benefits for the community.

Thanks

Petr Kubánek
http://rts2.org