[Nut-upsdev] new driver- or vendor-specific variable prefix?

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Wed Jun 7 01:42:30 UTC 2017

Not to pick on anyone in particular, but for the sake of organization, I think we might need to address the need for variables beyond the standard ones defined here:

   http://networkupstools.org/docs/developer-guide.chunked/apas01.html

From http://networkupstools.org/docs/developer-guide.chunked/ar01s04.html#_variable_names :

"PLEASE don’t make up new variables and commands just because you can. The new dstate functions give us the power to create just about anything, but that is a privilege and not a right. Imagine the mess that would happen if every developer decided on their own way to represent a common status element."

On the other hand, it is useful to expose everything that comes out of the stub driver generator to see if it is useful. And for the UPSes where we don't have good documentation, well... I'm guilty of this, too:

   https://github.com/networkupstools/nut/blob/master/drivers/tripplite_usb.c#L613

Any thoughts? Does "ups.debug.*" work? Just "debug.*"? "vendor.XYZ.*"?

Here are the two pull requests that prompted this email:

 * https://github.com/networkupstools/nut/pull/431
 * https://github.com/networkupstools/nut/pull/440