[Nut-upsdev] NUT namespace: RFC for new variable addition

Arnaud Quette arnaud.quette at gmail.com
Wed Jun 14 12:38:16 UTC 2017

(hmmm, finally hitting the Sent button...)

> On May 24, 2017 1:08:09 PM GMT+02:00, Charles Lepple <clepple at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >On May 24, 2017, at 5:11 AM, Arnaud Quette <arnaud.quette at gmail.com>
> >wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> here is another one, related to ATS (automatic transfer switch) this
> >time.
> >>
> >> in order to track "dephasing" between input sources (1 and 2), I'd
> >like to add a new variable: "input.phase.shift"
> >>

> >> Details and implementation can be found on:
> >> https://github.com/networkupstools/nut/pull/433
> >>
> >> Comments and feedback warmly welcome.
> >
> >I don't think "dephasing" is common usage, but "phase shift" should
> >suffice.
> >
> >Also, how does this apply to 3-phase systems? Is it nominally 120
> >degrees?
> >
> >Strange that this has not come up before.
>
> It was my impression too. However it seems the 'phase shift' usually
> refers to lag between Amperage and Voltage waves, while this issue is (if I
> get it correctly) about two separate ATS inputs fluctuating on their own
> different clock-offsets. Should be same freq (50 or 60) though, or likely
> assumed so - which might not be guaranteed in real life either ;) On the
> other hand, if the freqs differ, this reported skew degree will vary over
> time (if detected and reported honestly)...

Jim is right, this is very tied to ATS. I don't see that applying to 3ph
UPS, since there is only 1 source.
The point for ATS is that a source may be the main, and the other a UPS.
Hence the potential phase shift.
The nominal value is 0

cheers,
Arno
--
Eaton Data Center Automation Solutions - Opensource Leader -
http://42ity.org