[Nut-upsdev] [nut-upsuser] Copeland Engineering Dockmaster

Drew from Zhrodague drewzhrodague at zhrodague.net
Sun Mar 19 14:56:14 UTC 2017

On 3/11/17 9:15 AM, Charles Lepple wrote:
> [moved to nut-upsdev while we figure out the protocol]
>
>> On Mar 9, 2017, at 11:22 AM, Drew from Zhrodague <drewzhrodague at zhrodague.net> wrote:
>>
>> I'm able to cat /dev/usb/hiddev0 and /dev/hidraw0 - I pipe this through hexdump and I get different types of data from each:
>>
> I was trying to reconcile this with your earlier information from usbhid-dump, and it looks like hexdump is swapping bytes:

	Couple of updates:

	[] I've spoken with one of the developers, and he's offered to share
some technical documentation with me. I'll report here with whatever I
can. He's on vacation in China.

	[] I found this hid-example.c program, which fetches the values from
the unit, including a timer, and a current state. However, this example
program pushes data into the unit (to test writing), which sets the
timers to astronomical values. I am not sure the format it wants, I'm
unable to actually set anything, and the timer seems to default to 'a3
minutes'. My C is rusty, but commenting-out the writing portion makes
the data collection not work.

	[] After unloading the hid modules, I was able to get more details on
the USB format, and I am trying to read documentation to understand
what's going on. From lsusb -vvv:

     Report Descriptor: (length is 34)
             Item(Global): Usage Page, data= [ 0xa0 0xff ] 65440
                             (null)
             Item(Local ): Usage, data= [ 0xa5 ] 165
                             (null)
             Item(Main  ): Collection, data= [ 0x01 ] 1
                             Application
             Item(Local ): Usage, data= [ 0xa6 ] 166
                             (null)
             Item(Local ): Usage, data= [ 0xa7 ] 167
                             (null)
             Item(Global): Logical Minimum, data= [ 0x00 ] 0
             Item(Global): Logical Maximum, data= [ 0xff ] 255
             Item(Global): Report Size, data= [ 0x08 ] 8
             Item(Global): Report Count, data= [ 0x08 ] 8
             Item(Main  ): Input, data= [ 0x02 ] 2
                             Data Variable Absolute No_Wrap Linear
                             Preferred_State No_Null_Position
Non_Volatile Bitfield
             Item(Local ): Usage, data= [ 0xa9 ] 169
                             (null)
             Item(Global): Logical Minimum, data= [ 0x00 ] 0
             Item(Global): Logical Maximum, data= [ 0xff ] 255
             Item(Global): Report Size, data= [ 0x08 ] 8
             Item(Global): Report Count, data= [ 0x08 ] 8
             Item(Main  ): Output, data= [ 0x02 ] 2
                             Data Variable Absolute No_Wrap Linear
                             Preferred_State No_Null_Position
Non_Volatile Bitfield
             Item(Main  ): End Collection, data=none
       Endpoint Descriptor:
         bLength                 7
         bDescriptorType         5
         bEndpointAddress     0x81  EP 1 IN
         bmAttributes            3
           Transfer Type            Interrupt
           Synch Type               None
           Usage Type               Data
         wMaxPacketSize     0x0008  1x 8 bytes
         bInterval              10

	This is from the hid-example.c:

Report Descriptor:
6 a0 ff 9 a5 a1 1 9 a6 9 a7 15 0 25 ff 75 8 95 8 81 2 9 a9 15 0 25 ff 75
8 95 8 91 2 c0

	I welcome any advice or assistance - ideally I'd like to use a proper
UPS software, rather than my own egregious use of bash. Thanks!

--

Drew from Zhrodague
drew at zhrodague.net