[Nut-upsdev] Compatibility of GPL 2.0 licensed SSL library

Daniel F. Dickinson cshored at thecshore.com
Wed Aug 29 09:15:02 BST 2018

Hi all,

I'm wondering if the GPL-2.0 licensed mbedTLS (that's the version in
OpenWrt) is 'compatible' with NUT binaries (not including the Python or
Perl binaries which aren't used in OpenWrt) which is GPL 2.1+ AIUI.

Because mbedTLS is the default library for OpenWrt and NSS is not yet in
OpenWrt, and because OpenSSL is considered incompatible (I seem to
recall reading that in the NUT documentation) I'd like to make building
against mbedTLS (formerly polarssl) an option, but don't want to go that
route unless it'd be possible to distribute an SSL-enabled binary in
OpenWrt.

Regards,

Daniel