[Nut-upsdev] Proposed discussion: standardization of Status Flags and Instant Commands for ECO mode

Jim Klimov jimklimov+nut at gmail.com
Wed Dec 1 11:45:09 GMT 2021

Hello all,

  In issue https://github.com/networkupstools/nut/issues/1201 a point was
raised recently by the author of modbus drivers for Huawei devices, that
while many online UPS systems support ECO mode (where the mains output
bypasses the UPS during normal operation, and is only handed over to the
UPS automatically during a power failure), it seems this is not currently a
concept in NUT data/state model.

> The basic standardization items needed are:

   1. A ups.status flag for ECO mode, currently there's no standard. I
   looked around the codebase and found many drivers already use the flag OL
   ECO, so I think we could settle on that.
      - But with a caveat - the ECO status flag only appears when the UPS
      is online, and can disappear when it's on battery. But this is
how many UPS
      units report the current power status - the register only has a value for
      "online ECO", not "battery ECO" (which is understandable, since
it doesn't
      really make sense).
   2. Instant commands for entering and exiting ECO mode. Currently NUT
   doesn't have standardized instant commands for that.

  Does the esteemed NUT developer community have some constructive opinions
and ideas about this? After all, naming is one of the hardest problems in
Computer Science ;)

Thank you all in advance,
Jim Klimov