[Nut-upsdev] [Nut-upsuser] LibUSB-1.0+0.1 testing wanted, NUT 2.7.5 pending

Manuel Wolfshant wolfy at nobugconsulting.ro
Wed Dec 29 03:02:39 GMT 2021

On 12/28/21 19:08, Strahil Nikolov wrote:
> According to
> https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/devel@lists.fedoraproject.org/thread/BRUCA5P4WXL4MZLQ4Q6TP7IBDFR7WFWA/
> theold package name should be i2c-tools-devel
>
> Keep in mind that CentOS7 doesn't enable devel repos by default.

Thank you for attempting to help but, with my hats of Fedora packager
(since 2004) and [former] member of several Centos teams ( among which
Devel and QA ) on, and speaking strictly about CentOS 7, let me tell you
that unfortunately you are wrong in both your sentences cited above.

1. The post you referenced is significant for Fedora 29 and later.
CentOS 7 was loosely based on F18/F19. There is no package named
i2c-tools-devel in CentOS 7. Please use 'yum provides "*/<relevant
header file name.h here>"' to find out which package provides the header
files under discussion.

2. Up to and including CentOS 7,  CentOS always included all the
packages in a single ( well, two if you count base and updates
separately ) repository. If you take a peek at
http://mirror.centos.org/centos/7.9.2009/ you will notice that there is
no separate "development" repository. Your confusion probably comes from
the change implemented by RH in EL8, forcing CentOS to distribute the
devel packages via the separate and by default disabled CRB repository .

As of your previous message cited below, it was partially wrong too

> Usually development goes Fedora -> RHEL 7-> CentOS 7
>
> Since December that changed for EL8 only:
> Fedora -> CentOS Stream 8 -> RHEL 8

Leaving aside that there is no development involved between RHEL7 and
CentOS 7 ( the packages pushed by RH to git.centos.org are simply
rebuilt by CentOS ), the correct flow is described at
https://blog.centos.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/fedora-centos-stream-rhel-high-level.v4-1536x864.png

Regards,

wolfy