[Nut-upsdev] TLS support in NUT

Jim Klimov jimklimov at gmail.com
Sun Jun 13 20:13:51 BST 2021

 >>The idiotic deliberate breakage of Java in that many older
>>systems can no longer have a functional network console, even on a
>>secure network, is the perfect example of what *NOT* to do!)
>Incidentally I fight for 2 weeks trying to obtain again control over an
IBM chassis which requires an old Java

My condolences. It usually went along the lines of "fire up a VM with a
10-year old distro, (find and) install Java 5 or 6..."
IIRC, some time around jdk-1.6.37 could be one of the pivot points for that.

Thanks for raising this point, a pain like this is indeed not something we
would want to force on all NUT users, maybe not even by default, and it is
worth keeping that in mind.

On another hand, more and more laws (like, real-life legislation) and
by-laws (like, IETF asking "how do you secure your comms before we take
your protocol for publishing?") tend to require us as a community to at
least offer something in this regard. And as mentioned earlier in the
discussion, maybe it is best "outsourced" from NUT codebase (or at least
NUT makes it easy to outsource, such as with stunnel or shims that Roger
proposed), so that "modern du jour" crypto protection of NUT protocol on
the wire (including loopback for those inclined) can evolve at a different
pace from NUT releases. If only crypto libs evolved as just drop-in
replacements, without API and ABI changes... Notably, things like stunnel
do just that - as far as NUT is concerned, there is a black-box pipe to
send some bytes to and get some back. But setup becomes more complicated...

Jim