[Nut-upsdev] TLS support in NUT

Jim Klimov jimklimov+nut at gmail.com
Tue May 25 14:53:55 BST 2021

Just dropping a couple of comments/questions here:

1) Does IETF also require use of TLS for communications inside one host
(over localhost)?

2) Would a solution for two separate hosts be acceptable, where two
TLS-Shims are started:
* one listens on the NUT server's network interface(s) and passes
unencrypted packets to upsd on localhost (or via pipe) and replies back to
the net,
* another runs on client connecting to the NUT server, and the unmodified
NUT clients connect to it on localhost (or via pipe) with the plaintext NUT
protocol?

This would be similar to use of stunnel (or maybe would just use stunnel if
tested and deemed acceptable) to connect plaintext sides of the dialog
using a secure channel.

3) In any case, having some solution for certificates is good, although
people bothering about that (and a need to update the trust as these
expire) might opt for a private CA and would trust its longer-lived cert
instead - openssl, directly or wrapped in openvpn's EasyRSA scripts, makes
that approach manageable too. Corporate users probably have a domain CA as
well. Alternately, there is Let's Encrypt, at least for public domains...

Thanks for handling this and proposing practical solutions!
Jim Klimov