[Nut-upsdev] Proposal: "experimental" namespace for non-standard NUT variables

Roger Price roger at rogerprice.org
Fri May 28 07:43:49 BST 2021

On Fri, 28 May 2021, Jim Klimov via Nut-upsdev wrote:

>   Looking at NUT pull request (PR) history on GitHub, I see that we have
> had a non-trivial number of stalled driver contributions sharing a prominent
> similarity: proposed names for some of the variables did not fit into the list
> defined at https://github.com/networkupstools/nut/blob/master/docs/nut-names.txt

>   I propose to add a namespace like "experimental.*"

The future RFC refers to the file nut-names.txt as the "Recording Document" for
variable names, thus giving it the authority of the RFC.   It would be useful to
clarify this in the introductory paragraph beginning "This is a dump...".  It is
more than a dump. The process for adding a variable name to NUT could be
formalised under a new heading such as "Process for adding new variable names".
The text following that heading could then introduce experimental.... variables.

Roger