[Nut-upsdev] [Nut-upsuser] NUT v2.8.0(-rc1)

Jim Klimov jimklimov+nut at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 08:07:27 BST 2022

> Are there any known backward incompatible changes?
e.g. conf file settings or commands that won't work anymore?

None that I am aware of. There are a few new config keywords (and aliases
to older concepts), so programs from the older NUT packages would probably
safely refuse to start while parsing configurations that take advantage of
these new features. This is a large part of what prompted semantic
versioning to be bumped to 2.8.x.

Also the protocol between NUT server and clients got a few new words (and
aliases), but its implementation over the years should be less picky -
unsupported commands are rejected as such, so the chatter can effectively
constrain to the common denominator. The version was formally bumped to
"1.3" but it does not seem the value is used by NUT itself to make any
decisions.

And of course, closely related to the pending release is the work
spearheaded by Roger Price to document the protocol as an upcoming standard
that other solutions might implement (e.g. an upsd equivalent running
directly on the UPS or ePDU). Discussions with community and committee
reviewers took their welcome toll on codebase too.

Hope this helps,
Jim Klimov