[Nut-upsdev] To Join - Hardware compatibility list

Jim Klimov jimklimov+nut at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 19:58:02 BST 2022

Hello, and welcome!

  As far as I know there are no "formal requirements", just the general
netiquette for mailing list communications (or github issues for that
matter).

  Vendors are encouraged to at least publish protocols used by their
devices for monitoring and management (we can host a copy on the NUT
website), and ideally develop and maintain a NUT driver so your devices can
be supported out of the box.

  It would also help both sides to have NUT as the officially recommended
toolkit for customers to shut down their servers when power is lost,
instead of developing some of your own.
* Note: existing NUT for Windows builds are very old (a decade); recently I
rebased that codebase over the current master, but the resulting branch
would need some attention and testing to become an MSI package for
end-users and a "first-class citizen" in NUT ecosystem. Help is welcome :)

  If your devices support a common method of communications like SNMP or
USB-HID, and that goes beyond the bare-minimum standard data points with
vendor extensions, this may mean generation of a sub-driver file to map
your data points to NUT standard items.

  Most other devices support a variant of Megatec Qx family of protocols
(serial or USB) and if custom support is needed - you should develop a
subdriver for nutdrv_qx instead.

  I haven't seen too many devices lately that would not fall into one of
those 3 categories; however recent submissions did include some I2C drivers
for (Linux) embedded batteries, and several modbus drivers, for example.

  Note that for USB drivers either way you would need to update some driver
to recognize the Vendor and Product ID (and possibly other matching data if
your USB chips are generic with same IDs as everyone else has), and NUT may
be strict about protocol conformance (declared and actual bit-lengths of
different data in messages, notably some firmwares were seen to encode
Logical Min/Max mismatches).

  There is quite a bit of information in
https://github.com/networkupstools/nut/tree/master/docs for developers,
packagers and usres.