[Nut-upsdev] build system minor bug in handling tools/nut-scanner/nutscan-usb.h

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Wed Mar 30 17:26:08 BST 2022

I had a failed build recently, traced to an old nutscan-usb.h.  Digging
in, I am pretty sure I had done an objdir build earlier, and found a
bunch of files showed by "git status --ignored".  There were the usual
things created by autogen.sh and a bunch of e.g Makefile.in.  That's all
ok.

I also found

	scripts/hotplug/libhid.usermap
	tools/nut-scanner/nutscan-usb.h

which it seems to me don't belong in the source tree.
The file nutscan-usb.h seems generated (git doesn't know about it), but
it lacks a comment that it was generated.  (I don't know about the
hotplug file.)   I did find where it is generated, but I don't know how
the one in the sources got used/copied and why it wasn't regenerated.

I am guessing that there is a way to generate the file in the objdir by
copying from the source dir, and there is a rule that generates the file
in the objdir from other sources.

But if there is an old build in srcdir, and this is now an objdir build,
it seems to stay stale.

So I'm not 100% sure what's going on, and what the fix is but I've
worked around it.