[Nut-upsdev] [networkupstools/nut] Project Release Cycle Plan Needed (Issue #1769)

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Thu Jan 5 00:49:07 GMT 2023

My thoughts are:

  we have an infinite number of version numbers

  it makes sense to, roughly every 6 months to a year, release 2.N+1.0 with
  whatever has accumulated after a several-week call for testing, even
  if it's not exciting.

  2.N.1 etc. can happen if there's something serious and othewise not.

So I see us as heading to 2.9.0 over the next few months but not
urgently.  I'm guessing Jim sees it similarly.

as for maintaining stable branches, that's work.  In another project I
maintain, I choose not to.  I don't want to do work for people that want
LTS -- they can do that work or pay for it.  (I find that the LTS world
tends to expect others to accomodate their desire for software that is
both old at new at the same time and I'm cranky about that, especially
for non-Free distributions.)