[Nut-upsdev] [Nut-upsuser] How verbose should NUT be by default?

Edgar Fuß ef at math.uni-bonn.de
Sun Jan 15 16:42:20 GMT 2023

> extra info is harmful because it makes everything harder to read; a
> bigger haystack to find a needle (which may be not about nut)
Yes. No news is good news. I probably count as a BSD greybeard.

> version is not interesting, because it's easy to tell what version is
> installed, and a well-run system has only one copy of nut.
I would say that in syslog, version may be interesting in case you are debugging with different versions. You would need to write down which version ran at which point in time otherwise.

> Have you ever had a situation where the above verbose info, printed on
> stdout/stderr, was useful in diagnosing a previous problematic
> shutdown (a real one, not a testing one)?
I can't comment on that because automatic shutdown has been on my to-do list for ~15 years. At least "re-write the masterguard driver and submit it" no longer is (for ~half a year).