[Nut-upsuser] Re: tripp lite omnivs1500xl and usb

arnaud.quette at mgeups.com arnaud.quette at mgeups.com
Tue Aug 9 07:07:21 UTC 2005

[thanks not to cc me on answer]

> > you should have miss the hotplug files installation.
> > try "export USB_DEBUG=3", and you should get
> > some "operation not permitted errors".
> > For the solution, look at (search for hotplug):
> > http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/nut-upsuser/2005-August/000110.html
>
> yup, there were a lot of "operation not permitted" errors.  i've been
> working on it a lot and still stuck so i appreciate anymore advice.
>
> ok, i have hotplug installed and the libhid files:

hotplug files are ok (the .in is not needed)

> and, just for grins, i also added a line for tripplite to the
> libhid.usermap file:

yep, that was needed

> when i plug the ups in, this is what the kernel spits out in the logs
> (you'll notice it's plugged into a hub and not directly into the machine):

that doesn't matter

> everything looked good so far and hotplug says it's there which it didn't
> do before but...
>
> marty[/etc/hotplug/usb](191)# clear ; ./bin/newhidups -DDDDD auto
> Network UPS Tools: New USB/HID UPS driver 0.23 (2.0.2)
> found 0 (-1)
> No USB/HID UPS found
>
> i know i'm still missing something obvious here but it just isn't coming
> to mind.

did you launch it as root? if not, do so.
also, use the latest Development branch of the CVS to have
tripplite handled (ignored otherwise):
cvs -d:pserver:anonymous at cvs.alioth.debian.org:/cvsroot/nut login
+ENTER
cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous at cvs.alioth.debian.org:/cvsroot/nut co -r Development nut

> > Lastly, as far as I remember, tripplite doesn't expose much data, and we
> > never succeeded in getting something from that:
> > http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/nut-upsuser/2005-July/000047.html
> >
> > As always, my recommendation is... MGE!
>
> thanks for the info.  i'll have to keep this in mind next time i'm looking
> for a ups.

yep, the good way to support FLOSS is to support
mfr that support FLOSS ;-)

Arnaud