[Nut-upsuser] Re: MGE Protection Center and Suse

arnaud.quette@mgeups.com arnaud.quette@mgeups.com
Fri, 1 Jul 2005 09:56:49 +0200

Hi Johannes,

first, thanks not to put me as to or cc, as I'm subscribed to
all ML (logic as maintainer ;-)

> > Be sure to use nut 2.0.2 as I've made important
> > changes to newhidups in this release...
>
> Done

> > So, if not already done, install the NUT packages from MGE:
> > http://opensource.mgeups.com/suse/RPMS/i586/nut-2.0.2-1.i586.rpm
> >
> > then:
> > - validate that the right privileges are set on the
> > /proc/bus/usb/XXX/YYY
> > You can get XXX and YYY for lsusb output (ie Bus 002 Device 001: ID
> > 0463:ffff give XXX = 002 and YYY = 001)
>
> what for rights must be there?

libhidups should do it for you. Else:
chown root:nobody /proc/bus/usb/001/001
chmod 0660 /proc/bus/usb/001/001

> usb_os_find_devices: Found 001 on 001
> 002/002     0463/FFFF
>
> Opening new device
> Found 0x463
> USB error: could not claim interface 0: Operation not permitted
> failed to claim USB device, trying 2 more time(s)...

ok, this validate that it's a problem with the hotplug libhidups rules.
thanks to send back the output of "ls -l /etc/hotplug/usb/"
to check what is wrong. You can also try to unplug / replug the
USB cord to see if libhidups is called (SuSE hotplug seems not
to log that, but you'll will see the change with "ls")

Arnaud